Painting of Marine 1 was recently completed and fitting of electronics and cabin items will begin as the vessel enters its final stretch of construction.
Itís that time again, jack-o-lanterns, costumes, lights, decorations and CANDLES. Unfortunately, according to a FEMA report over a 3-day period around Halloween, a 3-year average of 15,500 fires caused $92 million in property loss, 45 deaths, and 175 injuries. Many people getting into the spirit will decorate their houses and light candles. Unfortunately, accidental misuse of this combination of combustible decorations and the flame of a candle can be lethal. Some decorative candles have been recalled because of the excessive height at which the flame burns. Left unattended, candles can become quite a liability. If you are going to burn candles:
1.Make sure they are within a 1 foot safety area with no combustible materials.
2.Donít leave them unattended. If you are going to sleep, blow them out.
3.Keep them out of the reach of children and pets. Many of the fires candles ignite occur when the candle is knocked over.
4.Teach the children in your house about the dangers of candles and proper safety precautions around candles.
Most costumes bought in stores are flame resistant. If you are making your childís costume, it probably will not be flame resistive and the potential for serious burn injuries is dramatically increased. Also be sure to avoid creating trip hazards if you intend to make your own costume. Sometimes masks should be replaced by a decorative hat as masks can dramatically reduce your field of vision.
General Halloween Safety tips:
∑Put your childís emergency information discreetly on their costume. (name, phone number and address)
∑If you purchase a costume ensure that it is flame retardant. There should be a tag identifying it as such.
∑Place reflective tape on the costume enhancing visibility.
∑Instead of candles, use glow sticks or battery operated devices.
∑If you are going to use props like dried flowers or cornstalks, make sure they are nowhere near an ignition source, i.e. light bulbs, candles, heaters.
Be sure to remain safe while you have a good time!
The Beverly Fire Department Open House was held at the Headquarters station located at 15 Hale St on Saturday October 9, 2010. The annual event is designed to spread the message of fire safety and teach the general public about some of the various tasks that firefighters perform in addition to firefighting.
This year there were three demonstrations including two by the firefighters trained in High Angle Technical Rescue and a third by firefighters that used the Jaws of Life to dismantle a vehicle like they might in an accident. The High Angle Rescue displays included several firefighters rappelling over the side of the fire station and one scenario where a firefighter pretended to be incapacitated while a second firefighter had to be lowered to rescue the first.
In addition to the demonstrations, Fire Prevention Officers used a model ďHazard HouseĒ to show families where they might find potential problems in their homes. From fire to electrocution hazards, the model is a cutaway of a typical home with some typical hazards that often cause fire or injury. At another station inside the building, a video depicting the devastation that a fire can cause played for viewers to see.
Other static displays included the Departmentís Oil Response Trailer which can be deployed in the event of a hydrocarbon spill in any water ways in Beverly or surrounding communities and a Northeast Regional Ambulance.
The Open House was made possible by several donations including Pizza by Papa Ginoís, Coffee and Donutís by Dunkin Donutís, Soda from Super Sub and a vehicle by New Beverly Auto Clinic. Other partners in the Open House were Northeast Regional Ambulance and Deputyís Doggs.